Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Marshmallow Fondant Hockey Goalie Mask Cake


I don't know why I do these things to myself. I had never made a fondant cake before, so for my first one I decided it would be fine to make a hockey goalie mask cake for a cousin's son. No big deal right? No practice needed right?

Okay, maybe some practice wouldn't have hurt. But alas, I didn't practice beforehand, and it led to some frustrating moments. I even ended up roping in the hubby to help me! Which, by the way, I tried to do from the beginning since he is an avid hockey fan and would know the dimensions better than me; however, it took me almost having a breakdown to convince him to help. What a sweet man I married...


Yes, I could pick out a million mistake with it (although I will not bore you with them, and will instead let you decide what is wrong on your own ;) ), but in the end, the cake came out pretty well! The 9 year old birthday boy was very pleased at least! 





yes, they are Habs fans...

For the cake and frosting portion I used the recipe from my Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Cupcakes (times 4). I baked half of the batter in a 9" x 13" pan and the other have in a Pampered Chef batter bowl, which I was surprised to find out can go in the oven up to 350°F. I made up my fondant the night before so it could rest overnight. The next day I stacked (I cut the 9" x 13" cake in half and stacked them first), carved and crumb coated my cake, rolled out and put the fondant over the cake, hated the way the shape looked, ripped off the fondant (this was close to my breakdown point), recruited hubby to help carve it to be closer to a real goalie mask shape, crumb coated a few areas again, made MORE fondant and rolled it out AGAIN, and then finally, successfully (although still not in love) placed the fondant over the cake. I used gel food coloring mixed with a small amount of vodka to paint the logo on.  I used black icing to make the shield on the mask and then more fondant rolled into cylinders to make the metal mask over the shield.

Here is the batter bowl for those who are unfamiliar with it

I'm not really sure if you wanted to know all that, but if you did, there it is. If not, the true purpose of this post is slowly approaching...the recipe I used for my marshmallow fondant! It really is very simple, and MUCH cheaper than store bought fondant. It also tastes better (woo hoo!)! Plus you get a mini arm workout out mixing in the powdered sugar, and a major arm workout if you add rolling it out afterwards (yes, I am currently jacked...not). The basic process is as follows:

Take 4 cups of mini (or regular) marshmallows (this is actually double that because I had to double the recipe) with some water and pop in in the microwave


Stir slightly melted marshmallows together until smooth. Add a ton of powdered sugar (this is where the arm work out comes in)


Remove from bowl and knead in MORE powdered sugar until no longer sticky

Anyway, try it, love it, mold it, eat it, do whatever you want with it really. The creative options are endless with fondant!

Oh, and if you were wondering how much you need to make, this link may help! http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/fondant-amounts-to-cover-cakes.cfm

marshmallow fondant
{recipe from I Am Pisces}
Makes about 1 pound of fondant



Ingredients
  • 4 cups regular or mini marshmallows
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
Directions
  1. Place marshmallows and water together in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute and then stir until completely melted. If you are tinting ALL of the fondant, you can add the food coloring now.
  2. Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until you reach 3 1/2 cups.
  3. Sprinkle the last 1/2 cup of powdered sugar onto countertop. Rub hands with powdered sugar and then remove fondant from bowl and onto powdered surface. Knead fondant, adding more powdered sugar as needed until it is no longer sticky.
  4. Once finished, if desired, you can use a sugared knife to cut it into sections and dye each section with food coloring as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment